Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Happy Chic: Inspiring But Not for Everyone (Though Jonathan Adler Would Disagree)

I just finished reading Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic Accessorizing and Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic Colors.


HOLY CRAP!

These books are not for the faint of heart. It takes an iron stomach to digest all of the design inspiration and tips packed in these two volumes. Basically, my mother would hate them, and my French grandmother would love them.

If you are at all squeamish about adding color and life to your home, calmly turn around and run the other way. If you want to chuck everything considered "safe" (a.k.a. boring) out the window and embrace color and the art that interior decorating can be, pick these books up and prepare to be inspired!


THE JONATHAN ADLER MANIFESTO

I believe that your home should make you happy.

I believe that when it comes to decorating, the wife is always right. Unless the husband is gay.

I believe in carbohydrates and to hell with the puffy consequences.

I believe minimalism is a bummer.

I believe handcrafted tchotchkes are life-enhancing.

I believe tassels are the earrings of the home.

I believe in the innate chicness of red with brown.

I believe in being underdressed or overdressed, always.

I believe celebrities should pay full price.

I believe in Palm Beach style: Louis chairs, chinoiserie, Lilly Pulitzer, The Breakers circa '72.

I believe my designs are award-winning even though they've never actually won any.

I believe in Aid to Artisans.

I believe dogs should be allowed in stores and restaurants.

I believe you should throw out your Blackberry and go pick some actual blackberries.

I believe my lamps will make you look younger and thinner.

I believe in irreverent luxury.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Hear, hear! Handcrafted tschochkis, red+brown, and a happy home - YES!