Sunday, October 9, 2011

Patience, Love and Expression

So I had seen this book,


Decorate: 1,000 Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home

by Holly Becker and Joanna Copestick on Amazon as a "recommended for you" item, but I didn't think much of it. I was at the library recently and saw it on the shelf. I thought to myself, "Eh, why not." I started reading it in the car a few days later and made little flapping motions to my husband while bouncing up and down in my seat to get his attention. I had read something that I thought, "Oh my gosh, this is so true."

He didn't get it--but, then again, he doesn't get most of what I do, so it's okay. He supports me in my insanity and lends a hand or two when I ask.

Anyway, what I had read was as follows:
"Allow yourself the patience to know it will all come together in time, and enjoy the process! For me home decor is not a goal, but a continually evolving and kinetic art project."
Amy Butler
After one of my friends telling me how overwhelming she finds trying to decorate her home, I realized that not everyone approaches the process the same way I do. (Cue the "Well, duh.") She was thinking that one had to do it all at once. YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE TO DO IT ALL AT ONCE!

Decorating your home is an evolutionary process that is never truly finished. (Good thing, too, or I would have to find a new hobby!) It is also a journey of self-discovery. By the time you start feeling comfortable with your space, you find that it is becoming a visual and physical representation of yourself. When someone walks into your home, they get an impression of who the occupants are. Put your own personal stamp on your space and never look back!

Some other gems from this book include the following:
"Use your critical eye to see and use your heart to feel--and then trust your instincts."
Shannon Fricke
"Your home should tell the story of who you are, and be a collection of what you love brought together under one roof."
Nate Berkus
Okay, I'm going to get off my soapbox now and get on with my day. I hope that all of you lovely readers either agree with me, or have gotten something to think about. Decorating should not be an overwhelming process. Yes, it can be daunting at times, but know that it is an expression of yourself and what you love. Rome was not built in a day. You did not become who you are now in a day. Give your home the same time and freedom.

Sometimes people will ask me how I came up with an idea after I finish a project. The truth is I spend weeks, months, sometimes even years thinking about something before making a decision and going for it. It is a process. I've been working for two years on my home, and not one of my rooms is completely finished (though some are close). I do not tell you this to discourage you, but rather to encourage you to cut your self some slack and enjoy the journey.

Love what you do! Love your home! Love who you are!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I am going to request that book at our little library!