Friday, December 9, 2011

Meet the Owl Family

First of all, I have to say, don't owls make the cutest tchotchkes? I've been looking for a white porcelain one, or one with a cute silhouette at the thrift store that I can spray paint. But alas, no cute little owl for me. *sigh* But I digress. 

Yesterday was a good day for inspiration, apparently. First we had the juicy rugs that I wrote about. Then I was over at Our Humble A{Bowe}d looking at all of the author's Christmas decorations. She had the cutest little set of owls (one for each member of her family) on their entertainment center. She DIY-ed them from toilet paper tubes with a little paint and permanent marker. Super easy and so cute!

Our Humble A{Bowe}d
Unbeknownst to me, the creative part of my brain started turning its wheels, and a few hours later, an image popped into my head. I was very excited (and surprised) by this vision. Unfortunately it was bedtime, and Darin has this thing about me going to sleep at night. (What's up with that?) So it had to wait until this morning.

Much to my childrens' dismay, I got right to work. It started with a rough sketch, then became a Silhouette Studio design, then it became reality. (And it only took me three tries to get it right!)

Behold, my take on the Owl Family! Aren't they cute?


I skipped right to the good stuff. Once I had finished the design, I made some prototypes in white. First came this little one, which fits nicely over this dollar store vase with a tealight inside.


The second was a larger version. Doesn't it look great wrapped around the pillar candle?


I'm really loving this design, and I am very proud of myself for  designing it, truth be told. I keep on thinking of such fantastic uses for it. The wraps can go around vases, votives, candy dishes, pillar candles or stand alone. I've decided to make a version that I can use for framed art or vinyl decals. I might even try etching it on glass or stenciling it on a pillow. I'm excited to see where this goes!

7 comments:

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d said...

Oh my goodness! Those owls are adorable! I love that you adapted the idea and cut out designs. So great!!

Heather said...

Thanks! I love them so much I'm even selling another set in my Etsy shop!

Shannon said...

Very clever! Just imagine them in orange for Halloween next year...

Heather said...

Ooh, good idea. Black ones, too! (Now you got me thinking about Christmas themed ones.)

Danna said...

I have a thing for owls... Now I have to go see your etsy...
XO

Heather said...

Fantastic! I have some others in the works, I'm just waiting for my new camera to arrive so that I can take photos of them.

If you ever have an idea for something you would like, like me know! (You know I can make it.) ;P

Heather said...

*let me know. (Doh!)